A Fresh Boost to Your Marketing Strategy
Learn about working with LimeLight on your marketing strategy below. No time to dig into this now? We’ve got you covered.
First Things First - What is a Marketing Roadmap?
Your marketing roadmap is a comprehensive and detailed strategy document that you receive at the end of the process. The roadmap:
- Provides a current assessment of your business’s industry and where your company fits within the landscape
- Delivers clarity about your top competitors and how they go to market
- Helps you understand your buyers
- Defines your brand value proposition and positioning
- Helps you define and articulate the competitive advantage of your product or service
- Includes a plan for content
- Maps content to the decision-making process of your buyers
- Uncovers gaps in your current marketing plan
- Provides a roadmap with the steps you need to know to take your company to market successfully
What Does it Take to Create a Roadmap?
Step 1: Initial Meeting
Prior to our initial meeting, we send you a list of questions to help us learn about your business and your goals. We also request access to your website, Google Analytics, and other tools, so we can do a thorough assessment.
The initial meeting typically lasts 1-2 hours. During the meeting we will gather insight to aid in the research, assessment, and development of your roadmap.
Step 2: Research
After the initial meeting, we begin the research portion of your plan.
In this step we:
- Conduct a competitive snapshot to help you articulate your competitors and determine where you stand out.
- Complete a comprehensive website assessment, which includes a review of your website analytics and development of a customized dashboard to help you see what’s been effective and where there are opportunities for improvement. We also audit each page of the site to determine its keyword focus and ranking and develop a keyword strategy.
- Assess your current marketing efforts, such as social media, email, print, and events and tradeshows, their intent, and the results they have been generating.
SEO Audit & Keyword Research
Search engine optimization is a critical piece of how to ensure that potential customers are able to find your online. The first step is to make sure, at a technical level, that your website conveys to Google exactly what your company does.
A search engine specialist will research, discover, and analyze the search terms that are most relevant to your business.
For example, what words are people typing into their search bar when they are looking for your product or services? Does your website rank for those? How do your competitors rank?
4 Steps to the SEO Audit:
- Research and identify keywords
- Determine which current content needs keyword optimization
- Identify which keyword-focused pages don’t currently exist, but should
- Uncover any link building opportunities available
What You’ll Receive:
After evaluating the data, we create a keyword strategy that will attract the most relevant traffic to your site. This will provide the foundation to ensure your site is up to date with a savvy SEO strategy based on solid competitive research, giving you both a competitive edge and a head start on your future SEO initiatives.
Content Assessment & Map
We review your existing content then map it to your buyer personas and to the customer journey. This provides you with clarity regarding where there are strengths and gaps in your content, and will also enable you to easily identify pieces of content that can be used by marketing and sales at each stage of the customer journey.
Step 3: Buyer Persona Interviews & Development
In partnership with you, we determine who your buyers are and speak with them about what they find important when making a decision relevant to your product or service. This helps you focus your marketing efforts and content with targeted messaging.
First, we identify common themes that link groups of your customers together. Next, we schedule phone interviews with two to three customers from each group. During the interviews, we uncover insight about their demographics, role in the company, behaviors, challenges, goals, and buying patterns.
We layer this first-hand insight with additional market research, delivering a comprehensive picture of your buyers.
What You’ll Receive:
We pull this insight into three to five buyer persona profiles to provide a clearly defined, articulated, and easy-to-share profile. These personas will help you intimately understand the motivations, needs, and decisions of your buyers.
Step 4: Brand Messaging
People connect with brands not only through what they sell, but why they sell. Understanding what makes your brand and product unique, and how it answers real and perceived customer needs, is the key to creating content that drives results. As you look to tell you company story in a way that resonates with modern buyers, it’s critical to take a step back to clarify and articulate what makes you unique.
What You’ll Receive:
A high-quality Brand Messaging Guide that includes all of the essential elements necessary to set your brand tone of voice, articulate your value, and resonate with customers using language that resonates with them.
Step 5: Content Strategy & Plan
A critical piece to your marketing plan is the content you publish to attract and engage your ideal buyers. Before you can create content that drives results, we help you understand the impact that keywords will have, in order to help your content be found by search engines.
Content Strategy & Calendar
Next comes the development of your content strategy – what types of content you should create, on which topics, aligned to which keywords, and how you can get maximum value from every piece of content with an upcycling strategy.
Once we have an accurate picture of your current content marketing strategy and ideas, we apply the keyword insight to create a content calendar that will inform which types of content to create moving forward.
Your Content Calendar Includes:
- The type(s) of content and topic(s) to focus on each month
- A monthly email campaign plan
- Cluster topics for blogs
- Suggested lead nurture and email workflows
When building this, LimeLight considers things such as:
- New product launches
- Conferences and events
- Sales goals
- Anything else that would impact the campaign success
Step 6: Roadmap Meeting
Recommendations and Next Steps
Ultimately, we deliver the marketing roadmap to you and provide a comprehensive overview of the research and strategy.
During this time, we:
- Walk you through the roadmap so that you can learn how to implement each part of the plan successfully on your own or in partnership with our team at LimeLight.
- Help you understand how each section of the plan comes together to help drive site traffic and leads.
- Share best practices and proven processes that will help achieve the results you desire.
- Map out the next steps.
- Complete intake survey / grant access / provide contact list for interviews
- Participate in the kick-off meeting
- LimeLight conducts research
- Participate in the research meeting
- LimeLight conducts interviews and creates buyer personas
- Participate in buyer persona presentation meeting
- LimeLight creates the content strategy and roadmap
- Participate in the roadmap presentation and discuss next steps
You Have the Right Roadmap, Now What?
It's time to start driving toward results. At the end of this process, you'll have the following actionable documents to reference and use:
- A snapshot of your competition to help you articulate where you stand out
- Website assessment mapping each page to keywords with keyword ranking and difficulty
- Buyer personas to be used in future marketing initiatives
- Brand messaging guide that gives your brand a voice that resonates and conveys value to your prospects
- An SEO audit
- A content strategy and content calendar
- A marketing roadmap that details go-to-market campaigns and channels