How To Optimize Blog Posts To Boost Traffic
Optimizing blog posts to boost traffic to your website is an important component of search engine optimization (SEO). You probably already know that frequent, useful, informative blog posts can help your website stay relevant in terms of customer queries. Your blog posts help your business maintain visibility for both search engines and your target customers.
How to make your blog posts relevant
You can make your blog post relevant to online users and search engines in two ways:
- Regularly post new blogs – the term “blog” is the shortened version of “web log” and were originally intended as a regular chronological update like a diary. Search engines typically tag the latest post as the most relevant one for given keywords or keyword phrases. Search engines have algorithms that assign more importance to your latest posts, especially if they’re news articles and are relevant to a particular time. This is the reason why news articles typically rank higher on search engine landing pages (SERPs).
- Write “evergreen” blog posts – new posts are generally ranked higher in terms of relevancy but many new posts become irrelevant if they are dependent on current events or fads. The bounce rate for this type of post is, therefore, higher in the long run. That means it’s crucial to write evergreen blog posts, highly informative and comprehensive posts that contain general information that is likely to be relevant in the long term. For instance, as well as writing about a new app, you could also write about the programming language for developing such an app.
Online marketing is a dynamic and competitive process that may seem overwhelming and confusing at times. But there are certain techniques you can use to generate new leads through organic traffic, and one of these is optimizing your blog posts. Blog posts can help to significantly improve your website and page ranks, so the blogs themselves need SEO to be visible.
Why is optimizing your blog for SEO so important?
Blog posts help generate organic traffic and leads on your website. In turn, some of these leads will be converted into customers, clients or paid subscribers. Fresh and frequent blog posts can also help you to keep your customers coming back for more because there’s often something new for them.
However, lead generation and conversion are not as easy if your blog is not optimized for both search engines and readers. Generally, you can optimize your blogs in two main ways:
- Incorporate relevant keywords and other on-page SEO tactics for easy indexing
- Properly lay the blog posts out, including things like images, bullet points, and subheaders, for easy reading
Blog posts on commercial websites are primarily meant to inform potential customers about the goods and services that a website or company provides, and increasingly to provide educational, informative, entertaining content that will help your customers without overtly selling to them.
An optimized blog post is an effective blog post. It is like a sales pitch that will lead to AIDA:
- Awareness – potential customers may not be aware of the products that you are offering. By writing a product-focused blog, for example, you can create awareness about the features and benefits of that product and how it compares to similar products.
- Interest – once potential customers become aware of your brand and your products or services, you have the opportunity to pique their interest.
- Decision – the leads you have generated so far now have a decision to make. They may decide to try your product, or they may opt for a similar product. This decision might depend primarily on how you present the benefits and the comparative advantages of your products, the quality of your content, and how your brand is perceived.
- Action – finally, the desirable action for you is for the leads you’ve generated to buy your products or subscribe to your services.
How SEO boosts traffic to your website
Search engine optimization is measurable through analytics, primarily the improvement in the quantity and quality of traffic you generate through organic search and how well your website and web pages rank. Your website won’t be as easy to find, either by search engines or by your potential customers, if you don’t incorporate sustained SEO campaigns.
Blogging is a key component in a successful SEO campaign. Blog posts serve two main purposes, namely, for search engine indexing and as an information source for end-users. Optimized blog posts should contain competitive or niche keywords that can be indexed by search engines.
Blog posts that contain targeted keywords and phrases and are technically optimized for SEO more easily rank higher on SERPs. End users will typically visit those websites that are included on the first page of the search results.
How to optimize your blog posts for SEO
You can use both on-page and off-page SEO techniques to optimize your blog posts. Off-page SEO is mainly about link building and promotions. On-page SEO, however, is focused on keywords, page layout, article format (e.g. lists, headers, font, emphasis, etc.), meta tags, meta description, and content quality.
A blog post must be easy to index. Search engine robots must be able to easily crawl the article with the help of headers, keywords, lists, and hyperlinks.
Additionally, it must also be easy to read or scan by a human reader. Online readers tend to have short attention spans and need visual cues like headers and emphasis (such as italics or bold letters) to digest the main points of the article.
10 tips to boost blog post SEO
A very quick Google search will throw up a lot of SEO blog tips, but not all of them can be implemented in your blog posts. You should select and test what works best for you, which can depend on things like your particular product, niche or target market. Here are our tips to get you started:
- Use long-tail keywords – a word or phrase that is incredibly specific to you and will drive the quality traffic you need
- Optimize your website for mobile devices – a no-brainer in today’s hand-held world
- Always include meta descriptions that best summarize the content and include your keyword(s)
- Use image captions and image alt texts – search engines can’t “see” images so use your keywords to describe them. This is also best-practice to make your website accessible
- Avoid using similar topic tags – so you’re basically not competing your content against itself
- Use a URL that includes your keyword(s)
- Include internal hyperlinks to link together similar blog posts or content
- Write articles that have long-term or evergreen relevance
- Implement topic clusters that are interconnected
- Remove outdated or irrelevant content
There is no magic formula for optimizing your blog posts and attracting more traffic to your website. However, if you have quality content that answers the needs and wants of your target market, your website is likely to attract the right visitors.
Do you need help to drive more organic traffic to your website? Let’s chat.