How To Create An SEO Strategy That Works For Your Business
Different types of businesses require different types of SEO strategy. Not all strategies or tactics can perfectly fit the needs of a business – there is no “one size fits all”, and it should be customized to suit you and get the results you need according to your business objectives. Added to that, Google makes frequent updates to its algorithm. It’s important to keep abreast of these changes so you can stay ahead by ensuring your strategies and tactics are in line with best practice.
You should first get to know and understand what your target customers want. On a basic level, it’s important to be able to communicate with them not by telling them what you want to say, but by telling them what they want to hear.
How SEO strategy has changed
Some old school SEO strategies still work, but a lot have become obsolete due to various updates to Google’s algorithm. These updates have placed more emphasis on the quality and authority of content, as well as if the content meets the intent of your visitor’s original search.
This means that manipulative tactics like keyword stuffing and link spamming will not work anymore. These tactics are now penalized.
Additionally, websites and web pages can now be ranked based on how detailed and comprehensive your content is. The authority of your blog content is now correlated to its length and how it is related to other similar content on your website, as well as other technical factors such as backlinking, internal linking, and adding alt-text.
Longer articles tend to explain topics in more detail. Articles that are clustered on similar topics and which have hyperlinks between each other tend to be more comprehensive.
What’s the difference between strategy and tactic?
Both strategy and tactics have military connotations but they are often misunderstood and used in place of each other. However, the two terms are not interchangeable.
Tactics refer to the actual methods implemented to achieve an objective, while strategies refer to the overarching plan of a campaign.
Strategy – more generic. It governs the tactics
Tactics – more specific and focused on a particular task at hand
When it comes to online marketing, both strategy and tactics are important to the success of your business. Just like a battle plan, your online strategy should be flexible in terms of tactics but more broad and stable in terms of strategy. That means it’s crucial you have a clear vision for your company’s direction and objectives.
What is SEO strategy?
Generally speaking, SEO strategy is a set of tactics or methods for implementing your online marketing goals. These may involve the following:
- Ranking high on search engine results pages (SERPs) based on your keywords and topics
- Generating traffic and leads
- Brand awareness and capturing the attention of your target audience
- Establishing authority and credibility and pitching your company as a thought leader in your industry
- Retaining and converting customers and/or subscribers
Determining which areas to focus your resources on and setting benchmarks or milestones for each goal will require strategic planning. But carrying out the plan necessitates tactical implementations. You can save time, money, effort, and other resources if you are tactical in the implementations of your SEO strategy.
It’s important to be able to answer these questions before implementing your SEO strategy:
- Is the strategy appropriate for my business? Can it be customized for greater precision?
- What is the focus of the strategy? For example, is it more about visibility and ranking or more about traffic and conversions?
- What keywords or keyword phrases should I use?
- How can I use external link building to complement internal linking?
- How can I unify my content into clusters of topics?
- What types of content formats and topics should I use?
- What are the meta-elements, such as meta-tags and meta-descriptions, that best fit my strategy?
Why is having an SEO strategy so important?
Having a robust SEO strategy that works for your business is like having a battle plan that includes the positions of your battalions, artilleries, tanks, defense structures, and tactical lines of offensive moves. It’s like having a bird’s eye view of the battlefield. Your SEO strategy will help you to:
- Be proactively efficient – allowing you to efficiently plan your moves and anticipate challenges, particularly those challenges from your competitors. You can be proactive in your approach instead of simply being reactive.
- Establish a competitive edge in the market – you can focus your resources on the things that will make your business more competitive. It’s not only about your Google ranking and generating leads, but also about audience retention and conversions. Ultimately, there is little use in driving traffic to your website and being highly visible if you are unable to persuade your target audience to subscribe or buy.
How to create an SEO Strategy that works for you
As mentioned earlier, an SEO strategy must be tailored to your business. Strategies that work for others will not necessarily be applicable to you. Different factors should be examined before you launch your SEO campaign.
An SEO strategy must be tailor-made based on:
- The size and type of your business
- Your industry or niche
- The relative positions of your competitors
- Your goals and objectives, both short-term and long-term
- Your products or services
- Your target market
Before you start, you must first determine where you stand by undertaking a website audit. Is your website new or has it existed for several years? What is its current ranking? What data do you have, such as volume of traffic, bounce rate, time on site?
Once you have done a basic audit, it’s time to start designing your SEO strategy (don’t forget to download our handy template to help out with this!). Putting together an SEO strategy looks something like this:
- Identify your target market and ideal customers
- Conduct in-depth keyword research based on relevant categories
- Search for market gaps and possible opportunities with the least competition
- Learn about your competitors and understand what makes them successful
- Learn from the best practices in your industry
- Create a customized plan of attack based on what you have learned
- Set your priorities and focus your efforts and resources
SEO strategy can be complex, and as we’ve seen there are many factors to take into consideration. If you understand how important this is for your business but are unsure of how to begin, it’s best to talk to SEO experts about how to create and implement your strategy.
Get your SEO strategy template
For step-by-step guidelines, tips, and advice for putting together your own SEO strategy, you can download our SEO strategy template. Although there is no single magic formula, you can use this template as a guide to create your own strategy.
The template will give you an overview of the digital and business landscape and guide you through your:
- Website audit and analytics
- Targeted keyword research related to your business
- Action plan for both on-page and off-page SEO
- Roadmap for implementing your customized strategy
Visit our pillar page, “A Guide to Creating Your SEO Strategy,” for more guidance on how to create and SEO strategy that works for you.
Alternatively, if you need help to drive more organic traffic to your website, let’s chat.